Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Butterfly Parade

Was a wee late in the morning when I decided to kick up some dust and hit the trails. Under the noon day sun, it sometimes worry me that I may not have hydrated enough. But some nutrient juice before donning the shoes and gear is a good idea and this time, it worked well. I got to good speed without any shortness of breadth, and took the slopes without any break of pace. At the stream before the Petai Hut, the army boys were in training and a couple of them were like girls in the dirt when water from the stream got into their boots! I finished in good time, got a drink from the water fountain at the Park Office and sauntered back to the Fitness Area to work out my thining upper body. Obviously I've lost a great deal of mass since, and the general lethargy and lack of power training is taking its toil. As I was sitting under the 2 pm sun, basking in its heat, I met R. Ong and Chung Pheng, who were both armed with macro-zoom lenses. They were part of the Butterfly Pals community in Singapore (check out: www.b-pals.com) and were shooting for their gallery. It was fascinating, what they could tell me about the 381 or 280+ species of butterflies in Singapore, their breeding habits and lifecyle. More fascinating was when they showed me their shots, and described to me what they captured: butterflies "puddling" or drinking from shallow water pools, that these "pee" or urinate, how they mate and how to locate some of the common species. We talked about the host plants, and moths, the frailty of the parks, and the general neglect from the over-stimulated trails from increased visitors, which bring the incidence of carelessness to unprecedented highs. After my discourse with them, I could pick up the presence of these wonderful, delicate insects significantly better, and felt so much more for them and their fragile world. There is more to read up on and to observe, and this adds much to my sense of being part of the great surprise of nature in my own backyard. (Images here are from the Butterfly Pals website.)

No comments:

Post a Comment