Saturday, August 13, 2005

From Finish To The Starting Line

It was some weekend - the last in October 2004 - which would have made my epitaph more interesting, if it were already not forgetful. For on that sunny Saturday, at the Corporate Triathlon, with the indirect urging of persons who have inspired me so, I ran the 5 km relay on behalf of an ailing colleague. I was largely unprepared mind you, and completely clueless to the necessary preparations and machinations of a race which all these inspired companions of mine were clued into. Fortunately, I was already then in pretty much the best shape I have been my whole life then - 7.5% body fat, weighing 73 kg and a taut waist at 28-30 while improving on my chin-ups and speed. Ok, so it was thanks to the alien we know from my earlier entry as Dexter Jr. Interestingly, this weekend, I hope to be ready for the NUS Triathlon, and although it is only half the Olympic distance, this would be my very first attempt to fulfil a long forgotten dream. When I was 22, back when I was traversing the globe in a world then which did not know 9/11 and its horror... I was reading up the exploits of Dave Scott and those many incredible Ironmen. For I was never able to find the opportunity and realise that dream of swimming, cycling and running well enough. I think it was terrific that the good chap (Dexter Jr) and a few of my other inspiring friends - the late Sylvester Ang, my ex-colleague Rina (incredible woman, she is!), and Club assistant manager and trainer, Dean (what a generous guy!) - were all to encourage me and lead me to this new found joy and level of confidence about myself. It may be about preventive medicine, but training for endurance sports is a whole new ball game even for a veteran of life's ins and outs! And there are some things which the body does not tell you until you come right to its threshold. At that point you are confronted by the plain, brutal facts about your genes and your strength of heart. Am I apprehensive and anxious about the Triathlon (half-distance) - well, indeed. It's not just the novelty and expectations that are comcomitant with this experience. It is plainly because it means so much to some one who understands what aging is becoming to him. I guess in the end, it is also about conquering fear. And that was what Sylvester has bequeathed to me - a rich legacy not to fear pain, for he always said, it is only temporary. At the Corporate Triathlon I spoke of a the start of the entry, Sly was the one person who genuinely put himself in full empathy of my own doubt and drew me out. As I made for the final bend towards the lagoon, knowing that the race was about to finish, I saw him appear to cheer me on. And he was merciless about the energy and strength he expected of me. Last week, I ran the same distance and route I did in the October event, and was surprised at how much more easy it seemed, because I was familiar with the turns and bends. But then, I was exerting every atom of energy and he cheered me on, to be fearless, to enjoy the adrenalin rush of courage over pain. I sprinted the last few tens of yards... I never bought those pictures from Sportox, but the moments are deeply imprinted on me. Honestly, I was too busy pushing those steps towards the finish line, I could only see the blur around me as the final arch loomed ahead and I passed beneath it. It was never meant to have been a finish line - for they all secretly knew, I was just really about to get to start. Thanks, all those incredible souls and generous friends who keep me at it, and keep faith. I can see there's a whole lot more to life than those cubicles and office politics. It's time, to get out in the open...

No comments:

Post a Comment