Monday, August 15, 2005

Rookie Veteran At NUS Triathlon, 14 Aug 05

I was at the recent OSIM Intl Triathlon, and did not get to do because I had not registered. Three weeks ago, at the insistance of another Club member and one of Singapore's original Ironman (Mr. Yeo), I registered with a mate of mine, Dean, for the NUS Triathlon. I won't elaborate about what concerned folks tell you that encourage and others, discourage you. But facts about sport and life, are the same - brutal and hard, if you can accept them. I was disappointed perhaps that another best mate of mine was nowhere to support me this time... But you go through the motion and say, "Well, it's going to be my first time, and failure is just postponed success." Not the best mantra to get that peace of mind and focus, but it was one of favourites. I went on with the dieting, cardio and controlled weight training and kept my dry weight to 73 kg, tough if you understand my body liked the extra it had been carrying around for 41 years. In the morning, yesterday, I was filled with silly jitters about the triathlon... what should I eat, how much, when, what if... My heart rate (HR) spiked and I could almost feel if that arryhmthic sensation would continue, it would be more intense than the event itself. It really felt like I had just completed a marathon run and I have not even yet got to the race of the day! Did anyone tell us rookies that was to be anticipated. I think if I woke up with a wife and kid, I would have been happily distracted. Or if I woke up and a seasoned triathlete mate had my morning planned, I would have been gladly preoccupied with his company to notice my own anxiousness. I was all tensed and cramping already. Well, finally Dean and his wife came around (a relief!), and in the car, I found myself slightly relaxed. We got to the race park at 50 minutes before my flag-off. I thought it was 1330 hrs, no. Well, this was not going to help. I am not even talking about logistics or even if someone had shared with me about setting this out, rain-proofing this or that. Forget the details... get to the briefing. Ah, well, it was over before I knew it. Get that PowerGel in (am I allowed to use that brand name, of course!). It was my second time I ever took that. By the time I was at the starting point, my nervousness was over. I mean, it's a given...just look at those Veterans. Hell, they weren't fat or overweight! These blokes have been doing it for YEARS, and they were powerful, confident and strong!!! I was the ROOKIE among the veterans. Give it up, that monkey on my shoulder whispered. Give it up, and hide in that water! Then, this guy next to me, said, Hi. I said it was my first time. He said, Great. Just watch out for the kicking and splashing (sportsmenship or just power-stroking to the front)? Ah, yes, I was warned. Then he assured me, and we exchanged names. Ah, another TriFam guy next to me, and a friend of Joe's and Adrian's. You know, folks... I suddenly felt calm and at HOME!!! Wow, I looked at Kenneth Kuo - an NUS Enginneering student and with that lean muscled frame of an triathlete, and said, hey, thanks, really. Off we went into the water... powerstroke, breaststroke, kickstroke (you hit me, I push you aside, hah!). You, wanna get in my way, go faster or I push you off with my next stroke, hah! Well, it was chaos... the same way the universe got born and how I came into the world, right. Forty-one years ago. I got out of the water and made that U-turn to complete the first lap, and at the corner of my eye saw three shapes in the water and someone shouted, "Go Thomas Go!" it's funny how friends spot you in that funky cap and googles. My tattos maybe, or that lame limp I make when I fake running. I dive back in. It's getting fun. Now, I understand what that training is all about. It's full-dress rehearsal: the body just takes over. It's just like reciting my Hail Marys, you know... like going through the motion (not that I say my prayers that way)! Then the transition (thanks, Dexter Jr - you prepped me very well for that, really dude, my inspiration this past year to what I have accomplished so far, best friend). The bike ride was a relief. Someone told me my thighs would ache? Maybe not yet... The buses and cries to "Slow Down!" were an inconvenience. This guy cuts infront of me and I catch his rear wheel and fly over my bike. The rear brake breaks, and stuff come flying off my bike. I fix the chain and get back on. I'm OK, no blood. I count the laps, which after three, I am feeling really good, and have adapted to the gears I need - just two... it's fun now. I see some really serious people calling Right! and I giveway. I liked that. Rules, decorum, orderliness that the swim lacked. Then I hit the dismount line. No cheers, no recognition. I threw off my watch before the start because it was not about performance, but depth experience... getting to love the sport first, I thought. How am I doing? No one to tell me. Transition to the running segment was really good. Off on the red carpet and the turns. My shoes are soggy. There'll be blisters for this, but I'm fine. I know this route well. Off I go. Then I see some surprises as friends along the way with their water and 100Plus are cheering on. I like the NUS volunteers who clap and smile. I see strained faces on the opposite side. No cramps, breathe deep, they told me, exhale fully. I do that. I look around, love the sky, the trees... still missed the trails at MacRitchie; the hard ground is not the same. Finally, the lap is done and I run past the Dolphin Park. Should I sprint? No cheers, so I don't. Inline skaters, bikers, runners and a dustbin trolley all on the same narrow road. Pedestrians, disinterested and dog-walkers unaware of runners who are so tired we would step and maim their pets if we had to... Orderliness breaks into the strain of completing this race.I still did not sprint. No cheers, no push. Now, it felt very personal and alone. I just want to finish this, it wasn't that hard. No cramps, not breathless, but my mind was not pushed to make that 30 second difference to impress anyone with the last 30 meters. Finally, it has come, and the FINISH line looms, and I cross it (who cared about the time lapsed?) and entered into a whole new world to begin with, earning my first badge into a fairly exclusive community. But most of all, even though this was half the real thing, fulfilling a 20 year dream when in Hawaii I bought my Dave Scott book, and imagined it all happening to me. Two decades past, thanks to Dexter Jr and Dean Chee, all those incredible Salomon athletes and Polar folks, mountaineers and climbers, adventure racers and endurance sports fans who have inspired and motivated me... THANK YOU, each of YOU, for your love of your sport and Life that made it possible for me to cross the threshold of hope into realising a long-time dream. I don't feel like a rookie anymore. I just feel like I am now part of a triathlon family... This race was personally dedicated to all those who have been my inspiration, near and far: the Salomon athletes - Adrian, Seng Leong (you looked great), Hairull (always!), Alvin, Kim Hong (wow!), Ee Ping, Esther, Kenneth, Aloy, Cheong - you are all the prime factors, Daniel, Stefan, Shukor, Faisal, David, and all the others - mountaineers, climbers, trekkers and adventure racers, YOUR NAMES are just too long for this, but you know who you are... and those others, Mr. Yeo, Philip Pow, Dean Chee and Connie, Stan and Allison, Chong Jin, Francis, Enda, Hayati, and so many more who have encouraged me, and not least, my protege and (often absent best bud), Dexter Jr Tai, who completely transformed my world view when I took him in, and in turn nurtured my love back for sport as athlete not just as sponsor and spectator, who kept me balanced and taught me about Life from another perspective (his!)... Thanks, everyone, for the love and friendship, and inspiration. Last, and never forgotten: TO SYLVESTER ANG, one of the best, and my great friend. You left me too much for me to ever forget. I did this for you, mate. You know it. Rest always in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment