Friday, February 17, 2006

Torso Twist, Outstretched Arms, and Spread Fingers

Thanks, Gary, for the Drill Four tips. As I haven't been in the pool a while, I decided to keep my 40-lap tryst yesterday afternoon casual and easy-going. That's another way of saying that I planned to enjoy the swim, which ultimately means doing breast-stroke. But occasionally, I would do the front-crawl - either because a new intruder into the pool is hijacking my lane or because I was breaking my lap routine for variety. Anyway, as I broke into the front-crawl, with the torso twist advocated by Gary, I found myself more relaxed, and with the vertical alignment of my outstretched arms overhead, into the water and pulling it back with slightly opened fingers, I could immediately feel the vast increase in efficiency. The net result was a much smoother, faster and breathable swim. But the pool quickly got crowded, with swimmers who really did not care about lane swimming and in particular, one bloke who simply could not swim straight! Thankful for the fine afternoon sun that came out to bless the day, I found myself in the training pool side, away from the hustle of the competition pool, and then taking on some essential vitamins from the day glow. It was great that I met Gary last night and could happily tell him about this experience, too. What a cool guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment