Monday, March 08, 2010

S$110 China-made Bicycle worth the ride

Getting around on a bicycle in Singapore has never been so popular. Thanks, in part, to the foreign nationals taking to this mode of transport and making it all seemingly convenient and practical, which it is.
I have enjoyed my custom-built TREK bike with Easton Rims but it's just too expensive for me to scoot around in Singapore roads during the day and leave it on the sidewalk while I get into the mall or church. The bike is built for speed and racing, not commuting. So, after a year and half of abstinence, it is enough penance even for the most ardent pedestrian. I decided to respond to a long harboured impulse. There seemed like no good second hand bicycles were available - checked out the Cold Storage notice boards and even Cash Converters (you never know!). I dropped by Benson's bicycle shop at Lorong Five Toa Payoh, and asked him for a S$90 bike. He also showed me the S$110 version with a slightly better quality rim. It looked great. So, I got it fixed up with a few more add-ons, and later on bought LED lights for safety, and rode it home. Later in the afternoon, I rode it to East Coast Park via the Bishan park connector when I realised that one third of the Bishan Park was closed for works. The PCN was very badly done. It looked like the designers/planned only fixed it as a clear line on the map and never took seriously how smooth the flow ought to be for anyone on wheels, whether in a wheelchair, inline skates or urban bicycle. There were five crossings involving carrying the bicycle up or stopping and getting off the seat, and worst of all, a portion where it PCN disappeared into a series of private road lanes and onto a narrow sidewalk. This is simply bad public planning and does nothing to boast of the successful concept only in parts, and neglected in others.
Nonetheless, it did mean getting to East Coast Park for the most part in a safe way, and without the buses and cars cutting in front of you. I rode all the way to the Bedok jetty near Tanah Merah and back, in very short time and with glee. It says it all. I finally have a commute bike I am not afraid to have locked at the side of a mall or sidewalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment