Monday, March 08, 2010

The SAMSUNG Omnia HD I8910 - my dream mobile just waiting to get into my hands...

No secret that I have been a SAMSUNG mobile fan, when NOKIA was still leading the pack, and right before iPhones were launched in the US. It all happened first with the ultra thin, and light, Blackjack by SAMSUNG. I literally threw my Nokia phone away to get it. It was unbelievably light, smart, fast, took very good 2.5MB pictures and its keyboard was perfect for texting.
After the Blackjack, I moved to the iPhone and spat out S$1399 for the 16GB version, which when it hung, I brought it to the shop at Lucky Plaza and the chaps there stole it. I couldn't do anything about it. Imagine turning up to collect it after it was supposed to have been upgraded (firmware), and they just tell you that it "died" and there is nothing you can do about it. I am convinced that the kid there, Kelvin, who was constantly trying to borrow money from me, had flicked it for cash.
So, lessons learnt: parallel import phones are fine if you really want to be an early adopter, but the earliest adopters who are selling these phones are going to scam you, like it or not, particularly becareful because they look like Zac Efron when they all smile. Other lesson learnt: you are never really the early adopter. There are always others ahead of you and they ultimately are going to make a buck out of you. So, picking and choosing your tech platform after awhile, and choosing something which reflects what you do and use, means waiting a bit more. Finally, emotional intelligence has caught up with me and this means, delaying gratification somewhat.
But I can't resist anymore. Everything about this SAMSUNG Omnia is what I want in a phone. I bought the first Omnia after dishing the iPhone and trying various mobiles inbetween, including the new Nokia E71 (disappointing like HELL except for the bronze back cover). The Omnia was simply ahead of its time.
It has been three years since and I have been aching for a new phone and wondering what next. Then last year, SAMSUNG released the new HD I8910 model with the AMOLED screen, which meant correcting the first problem I noticed about the current Omnia and all other touch screen phones - because the displays disappear in bright sunlight. Next, the screen sensitivity was corrected - apparently because of the software issue in the first series, where you try and answer the phone but the slow response results in the call being cut off. It is amazing that I lived with this problem for so long. Third, that the MS Windows Mobile 6.1 is fraught with problems including taking up so much of the phone's basic memory that when you update the Calendar and other content, the next time you synch with the PC, it hangs. It is not the MS Windows Mobile Centre platform itself; it is the way developers and software creators have just not given enough buffer in their rush to get the products out to earn cash for shareholders. No one's fault by today's greed standards, granted that sucker-consumers like I would want to buy stuff early just to use and test the latest technologies. Crash test dumbies that pay for stuff!
Now, finally, the Omnia uses Symbian and that is plainly perfect. I think the only other tech platform I am a bit weary of is the DixV multi-format playback in video. There's something pretty fishy about how they operate and I think it will soon be made known.
It is still a tad too expensive, but I think I will get around to forking out the cash somehow. The Omnia I am using is simply "dying" and its memory is just too tight, resulting in it hanging. I really need to get out of the MS Windows Mobile platform. I tried the Android in the Samsung Spica Galaxy and it failed to impress. Well, nothing like a little more time to await and find out more, or if a new version is in the flanks.
Some things are worth waiting for...

No comments:

Post a Comment