Saturday, June 26, 2010

What A Bump!

Perhaps I was plainly too delighted to have received the long awaited packages from Singapore, which after three weeks of being in transit and held up at Customs, was finally arrayed before me. I stooped to move the heaviest of the lot, shifting it to the side of the storeroom so that it would not obstruct the passageway. Then after letting the box down, I shoved it to rest at the corner and stooped up. I hit my head hard at the base of an electrical switchboard box and was just lucky enough to have been cut by it. But the mild concussion was enough to cause the back of my crown to feel acute pain, my eyes blinking against the harsh afternoon light and squinting in agony. The pain throbbed - literally - in waves, and I tried to steady myself. Later, the island's resort doctor very graciously brought me a NEX ice-pak which we left in the freezer to quickly chill. I spend the afternoon in pain, my eyes being more sensitive then usual and dizzy. The ice-pak sat gingerly over my head as I eased around my desk to work, trying to forget the pain. I could swear that for a while I did feel nauseous from the slight-headed dizziness, and headache inside my head. I found myself taking deeper breadths and slowing down. By evening, the pain had ripened into a low throbbing headache, exactly as if someone had hit you on the head with a bat. Your vision seems narrowed and greyed at the periphery. I hope my neurons can heal - I hate to be losing my memory after cramming in a great deal of new data for the coaching and training to be held here and around the region. Anyway, pain is only temporary - I worry about any permanent damage; fortunately, I am probably do done with being damaged now that whatever is left if probably beyond any hope of salvaging! I slept later than usual last night, after a long bout of laughter and jokes when some friends came over. It was a real relief. The dopamine the brain produces with laughter is definitely good medicine. If I had an aneurysm and flipped into a coma, I would have wanted to do laughing anyway and with the right company! But I woke up early as usual but felt almost unable to crawl out of bed. My head rolled from side to side just not wanting to be lifted. It was my sprained neck from the sudden impact. I finally lifted myself off the bed at about 7 am, which was already rather bright with the sun sending gleams of light through the swaying palms. I decided that it was best not to try and hit the gym as I might regularly do, but sit around and update my Facebook for a while. The headache is still lingering and I still feel sleepy and tired out. It may not be the bump but just the body intuitively easing into the weekend mode which does not exist here in these parts. My body will have to relearn that the old circadian as well as weekend routine in Singapore would not apply here. Fortunately, a great deal does not. That includes, walking from my room to the shoreline and instantly swimming out the edge of the reef which falls to about 30 metres below. Ijust want to free dive down and slip pass the reef wall into the great blue. All I need is a friend to add recklessness to beauty that is all around. I must be losing my sight right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment