Wednesday, August 20, 2008

ABOUT HEAD - MY NEW RACQUET

It may sound like I'm making a racket about this racquet, but the HEAD Metallix S10 I ordered from World of Sport fell through and after run abouts with the merchandiser and their principals, all I was left with was "Er, the size you want 4 1/2 the prinicipal say they don't carry anymore as it is not popular." So, my option was for 4 3/8 and sprained forearms maybe. Then I get a call from the World of Sports staff: "Sorry, we ran out of stock." But I thought there was one at the store. "We only have s8 now, but the size is also not your size. The merchandiser say they don't carry 4 1/2 because it is not saleable." You know, I have been in sports retail before and all this is rubbish, unless we are only selling racquets to the very young and smallish people. These days, perhaps the bigger, taller tennish players must be buying Wilsons or Balolat and from Royal Sporting House or XXX sports shop at Queensway or Lucky Plaza! But the staff at this World of Sports outlet was trying very hard and her perseverance deserves appreciation from this customer. So, I didn't give up and poked my nose around... before long I settled for the HEAD Intelligence S12. Here are the specifications:
  • Length: 28"
  • Head Size: 115"
  • Weight: 8.1 oz.
  • Balance: 1pt HL
  • Cross Sect1on: 28.50mm
  • Type of Swing: Compact strokes
  • String Tension:5766 lbs
  • Ra:
  • Flex: Stiff
  • Features: Pre-Strung with IntelliString string at mid tension
And a professional reviewer has this to say about it too: "First things first: The Head i.S10 and i.S12 play a lot alike, although the i.S12 is longer and has a slightly thicker beam. Like the i.S10, the i.S12 has piezoelectric fibers in the throat to give the stick more pop than a champagne bottle, so players with long strokes should look elsewhere, unless they like hitting the backstop on the fly. Beginner testers loved the giddy-up they got on their volleys and ground strokes courtesy of the super-stiff frame. 'I’d just block the ball and it would go nice and deep, and the control wasn’t bad either,' said one 3.0 NTRP player. Another source of the i.S10’s and i.S12’s power is the open 14 by 17 string pattern, which, it should be noted, may also cause the strings to prematurely snap (there’s more string movement and thus more friction). This racquet plays best with a vibration dampener; without one, it makes a loud 'ping.' The same goes for the i.S10." So, I finally have my racquet to make "ping" on the lawn, again. The funny thing is, my tennis mates are now playing badminton. Yonnex? I must be lagging behind the court fads.

No comments:

Post a Comment