Saturday, August 16, 2008

beLOW ZERO - New Diver Timepiece from Hamilton

Now that Hamilton has been acquired by the Swiss SWATCH Group, there have been some very terrific timepieces in their new product line up. From their very first release since the acquisition, I bought the KHAKI Air Race, which I remember Jordan liking it quite much. After this young man's death, I gave that favourite timepiece to one of his best friends, James. Last year, I bought the X-WIND Limited Edition Black Stainless Steel, which was quickly a favourite (why else get it?). But when I uncovered the back case protective plastic, we found that the sapphire crystal black cover was chipped. I sent it back under the warranty claims, and instead, had to pay for the new crystal, even when it was brand new. I think this was more a problem with the local agent - Watches of Switzerland - than Hamilton/SWATCH per se. Anyway, I paid - or I wouldn't get my watch back; what would you do? Then I noticed the brand new line up of Art Deco - Panel Dial designs from the 2008 line-up, which are called beLOW ZERO, notably because of the hard steel case and bold look that has been made famous by brands like Panterai, U-Boat, Bell & Ross etc. But being from SWATCH Group, you can expect some incredible finishing quality from them for the casings. While I put OMEGA up there as my top watch brand (also from the same Group), I did not want to get another, having given my SEAMASTER to my nephew Gerard for this 21st. I wanted simply wanted a watch brand that is fairly "undiscovered", has genuine heritage, great modernity yet appeals to the conservative-art inclined few. A tough combination, but I found that in BALL watches which is why I bought their 18kt Rose Gold timepiece as a personal keepsake. But with the new (30 March 2008) beLOW ZERO silver face DIVER watch with helium release (depth to 1000m) and resin strap from Hamilton, I could not resist. It's a tad chunky. But it was exactly the sort of watch I wanted back on my wrist apart from my more functional Polar and Timex training ware. This watch makes you feel so good, you want to head out of the house just to get it noticed! Specifications: BeLOWZERO Auto 2826 Size : 46 mm Material : Stainless steel/ Black PVD Dial Color : Black / silver Attachments : Black rubber / black rubber & stainless steel mixed Movement : Automatic 2826 - ETA 2824-2 Crystal : Sapphire Water resistance : 1000 m

No comments:

Post a Comment