Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The Tay Family

It is the merry month of May again, when I just thought it was not too long ago that we had our last May Tay Family Gathering... It's a novel tradition born out of convenience. You see, there are three birthdays in the month, more if you include the extended family of godchildren, two wedding anniversaries, and of course, Mother's Day. Notwithstanding that, in June, there are more birthdays to follow. So, it became a practice that we would celebrate all these happy days with just one family dinner. The only other times would be Chinese New Year eve and Christmas Day. Fortunately, we have found other excuses and opportunities to gather around that lazy susan and a host of dishes to feast on.
This time, it was at the Mon Hong Teochew Restaurant, which was located at Keypoint, off Beach Road. The weird coincidence was that it was scheduled at the end of my first week of work. And guess where do I work? At Keypoint itself.
That aside, I managed to bring the WOLF BLASS Gold Label Shiraz 2005, which was terrific by itself. But the family aren't wine afficiandos, so when I poured the first glasses with tasting portion for Nancy and friend, I got looks back from them, with the comment, "Wah, only for tasting hah?" It was funny, really. Here I was, trying to be all decorous, and I get this laid-back Chin-Ga-Pore reply from my in-law and her friend.
There was the whole usual affair of what the menu ought to comprise, since several of the "next generation" did not like this, could not eat that, or would not eat those... It is a mystery why the palate is so varied within our family, but the whole Baba preference of learning to appreciate food in its variety seems lost on them. At least, the dinner went on without any real gripes.
The gripes did come though the next day for me, and I found myself working the John till Monday! I can't pass that darn restaurant now when I am at work without thinking about the gripes and my trips to the loo... Urgh!
Anyway, here's the family photograph. Yes, Pete looks like he's saying "shoooooo!" but he looked better in the first shot. But it's my blog, and I figured that I (the tallest at the back) definitely smiled a lot better in this one! Hahahah!

No comments:

Post a Comment