Monday, March 20, 2006

One Night (1989)



éèn nacht

Could I help not noticing
Beauty himself standing
by the window
hands in pockets
dreamy eyes wide

Could I help not to think
youth himself enjoying
the happy beat
of music rapping feet
dancing to dawn

Could I help not dreaming
heaven himself staring
a tastefulness
love awaiting chance
an invitation to dance

Could I help not asking
love himself awaiting
heart be still
skip a beat
contemplates defeat

Could I help not smile
laughter himself teasing
frolicking night
revelry till light
a thoroughfare

Could I help not hope
child himself laments
brief is the while
to hold and to smile
kiss a while

Could I help not repeat
opportunity himself passing
lasts one night
might never knock again
I remain
You gently, quietly, abashedly ease from sight



Expansion of an idea of one guy trying to pick up another guy at the dance floor at EXIT, a gay disco in Amsterdam, popular among the young local and foreigners especially in summer. There is some inspiration based on how I met Hans de Wit of Schiedam in mid-June, one weekend in 1989 during my three week vacation there. This guy is the epitome of Dutch youthful handsomeness, with a sauveness and pensiveness that was disarming. We became fast friends, and definitely the envy of many.

No comments:

Post a Comment