Thursday, March 09, 2006

Late Discovery, New Route

Tuesday, 7 March 2006 You think that you almost know everything. Short of what we know from direct or personal experience, quite all the rest is perception based on report and hearsay. For the most part, my first reports about Bishan Park was that it was cluttered with leaves, the trail was uneven with root-breaks, and that it was rather desolate place. So when DJ suggested that it was a good place to skate and that we could go there instead of East Coast Park, I was not inclined to listen. But I know that he’s skated there with Sarah, and runs there with his younger brother. When my brother Chris insisted that it was not at all quite what I seem to think, and that he too regularly would cycle or jog up there, I thought perhaps there must be more to it. I thought to take the Braddell canal route, either down towards East Coast/Kallang Basin, as Chris does on weekends, or up northwards, to Bishan Park. As time would have it, I decided that the northbound route would be better, as I did not want to be back after dusk. So after crossing Braddell road, I started my run after the school, and noted that crossing the slip road that leads up/down the Braddell-Toa Payoh flyover can be a bit tricky as there is no path and drivers may therefore not be as careful. Apart from that slight hiccough, the pedestrian route to the canal just before Comfort Delgro’s headquarters was clear cut and unobstructed. When I got on to the cycle-running track which ran along the canal, I was actually surprised that it did not smell foul in any way, and without the stench, it was breezy and well-used by many other leisurely joggers and cyclists. There was a fitness park just at the start point next to the tall point blocks and it looked good to use. About just 1200m later, you would be at the crossing under the MRT train lines and Bishan Road, where the park actually starts. About 400m before that point is a small gap route next to Kuo Chuan Presbyterian School and that would be a good short cut to take if need be. I remember now that’s where DJ would start his route, and it makes sense. Anyway, once in Bishan Park, I got to study the map, the features and routes. Bascially the park is broken up into two sections because of the Marymount Road intersection with Ang Mo Kio Avenue 1. The route along this first part is pretty short, about 1200m, and the round route at the second half of the park is only 4400m, which total just 8800m for a full round the park run. It’s not much, considering how undulating it is, and hence, pretty easy to go in good time, which was what I found out, despite the drizzle. There’s also this really terrific fitness park right at the starting corner, which makes it the envy of any heartlander anywhere else. So I hung around there for a while and make use of the regular stations, which were all in terrific condition. The afternoon rain began taking a heavier fall, but luckily for me, as I decided to head back about 5.30 pm, it was just a drizzle which wet the ground but kept the air cool and very nice. No good for my specs though, which we dribbled with some water, but did not affect my vision. All in all, it is a very late discovery but a fantastic new route which I can incorporate for my skating and running, cycling route, with my swimming from now on. The best part of it all is that the flora was just terrific, with the trees and lotus ponds all in healthy condition, unlike what I have been seeing of late at MacRitchie. There the trees are literally rotting to the ground, and the vegetation is just dying along the trails, with increasing litter and frequently (worst of all) by visitors who disregard any consideration for the joggers and runners when they bottleneck the routes with their banter and hogging. Still, it’s my preferred route because of the trails, the nature reserve and the distance incorporated, as well as general privacy at the odd hours on weekdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment