Monday, March 20, 2006

Sidewalk Jane (1993)


I am propositioned, constantly, for my company
I am liked, I supposed, for various parts of me.
There’s James, Leonard, Han, Jon and a few
Who think I notice, wish I knew
That they like me, and I, them too.

It’s silly, this game; appreciate me, appreciate you
When does it end, how I wish’d I knew
Yet there’s one distinct person within view
Who draws my attention, my fancies too
Oh, rather unbecoming to expect him to
Engage my stares and pension his cares
Heed my attention, brace for action
Our eyes across the room drew
Into each other’s, the spectre reveal
A deafening sensation, of wild abandon
Desire, pangs, for communion
Such as experienced by a rarer few
A consumate passion, utterly real.

Who cares for propositions, they mean nothing you know,
What with changing partners, passing to and fro.
There’s hope, faithfulness, trust and love yet
A surmountable task, a complete fiat
That I should love you, and let it be, at that.


26 October 1993

No comments:

Post a Comment