Monday, March 20, 2006

Secretum Meum Mihi (1978)




a narrow pathway though it be
it leads us to a glorious sea
of light and immortality

heaven’s eye agaze on men
the earth bears a tired friend
the two here are bound as one
their love becomes the eternal sun



I wrote this on a fullscap sheet, during class in 1978. I remember it was in the afternoon, and instead of doodling, I found my mind wandering slightly. It was in Anderson Building, which now stands as part of the Singapore Art Museum. In my mind’s eye, I saw an image of the sky like a circle of clouds gathering around a brilliant source of light, and the shafts of light piercing through it, towards me. I sketched this as well, and preserved it for some time, before that sheet, along with the first scribbles were lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment